Sunday, August 2, 2015

July 26, 2015

Today we took a ferry from Taniger to Tarifa, Spain. The trip itself was only around thirty minutes. I always knew that northern Africa is extremely close to European nations, as they are only separated by the Mediterranean Sea, but I never knew how close. I can literally see Spain and Portugal out of my hotel room window. How crazy is that?

I was completely taken from the moment we got to Spain. I mean, practically the first thing you see is a medieval castle. It’s hard to believe you can go from continent to continent in that short period of time, and how completely different the two places are despite their closeness. I wanted to take a photo of each and every street, because the entire town looked like it should be on Pinterest.

The food was incredible. We stopped at a little cafĂ© on a pretty street, and all got breakfast since they were not yet serving lunch. It was amazing, and afterwards we explored the streets, got gelato, and hit the picture perfect beaches. People failed to mention this to me my entire life, but I’m pretty sure it’s a rule that you have to be beautiful to live in Spain. All of the girls were flawless and the men of all ages were handsome, who knew! We stupidly left our bathing suits behind, but when we got to the beautiful beaches, we noticed that many women were topless, and as a joke someone threw out that they were going to go topless, but then it turned into the real deal. We figured, we didn’t have bathing suits, we wanted to swim, the beaches were pristine, and we would be assimilating to local culture. It felt odd at first because we were in our American minds which tend to believe that nipples are somehow a big deal, but once we actually did it, it felt amazing to be free in a beautiful place where we didn’t have to worry about getting in trouble for showing the bodies we were born with. It was a sense of freedom I would never have in America, because I would never be able to go topless like that and have it be so accepted. It was a great insight into European mind and culture. They are so much more laid back than us, which we noticed when we were eating too. You don’t get your check here unless you basically chase your waiter or waitress around, because once you have the table it’s yours for as long as you’d like, unlike America where they kick you out as soon as you’re done eating.

We ended up getting dinner at the same place after doing some shopping, and it was just as good as breakfast. The food was fresh, carefully made, and simply delicious. The other girls tried the traditional seafood dish of paella, but that was a bit too much for me.

Taking the ferry ride back to Spain, I felt like I was in a movie. How beautiful is it to wake up in Africa, spend the day in Spain, and then be back in Africa to sleep at night. I’m always amazed where my life's path takes me and what adventures I end up on, and this trip definitely has me counting my blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment