This morning we had our first class. I wasn’t sure what exactly what to expect, but it ended up just being a couple hours of awesome and informative and intellectual conversation. We had a really good discussion going on and I heard a lot of interesting opinions that challenged my own and kept me thinking the whole time. Even though this class doesn’t count for any of my degree requirements, and is just an elective that I don’t even need, I’m excited for this experience and the opportunity to take a communications class for the first time and learn about Islam along the way. I personally feel as though this class is just as relevant to my major as it is to a communications or political science major as well, even if it doesn’t technically count for it.
We had to do out to lunch at Pizza Hut because it is the last day of Ramadan, which means the last day of fasting and then celebrating once the sun goes down so basically no food places were open during the day for anything other than drinks so that was the only place we could go. Even though none of us really wanted to go there, I think it is such a cool experience to be here for the end of Ramadan and see how much the religion influences the daily culture. Because basically everyone follows the Islamic faith, there’s no reason for restaurants to be open when everyone is fasting, and their religion is more important to them than making business for those who aren’t also fasting, which I respect.
After lunch we took a walk to see the Hassan II Mosque in the daylight, led by a local professor. He answered some questions for us while we walked and got to experience the same trip from the night before in the daylight. Along the walk we spotted the recreation of Rick’s Café from the movie Casablanca, and stopped to snap a pic.
I wasn’t aware until we got to the Mosque how beautiful it had actually been, because we hadn’t been able to really see the detailing in the dark. Once again I was left breathless by the immense beauty of the structure, as well as the culture around it. The Mosque is right along the Atlantic shoreline, and part of it is literally in the water. Many people were swimming along the edge close by, playing and jumping in the water. We stopped to chat with a few of the smaller boys for a moment, who were nothing but giggly and smiley. I always think the best part of any country is their children, as they tend to show the character of the people and their truest potential as loving and happy people.
In the courtyard to the Mosque, there were people everywhere, waiting together for the celebration to come, and enjoying each other’s company to distract them from the fast. It’s been so interesting to learn more about the practices during Ramadan. I always knew that they didn’t eat from sun up until sun down, but I wasn’t aware that extended to all drinks, including water, especially because a lot of the Islamic nations live in extreme heat. It also extends to anything in the mouth, such as gum, another person’s mouth (kissing), and even the act of swearing and things like catcalling. Ramadan is all about making your most loving, conscious decisions with a clear mind as you fast from your pleasures and focus on God.









No comments:
Post a Comment